About Us

100_1654_300

The Eltham Cemetery Trust, established in 1858, selected the existing burial site at Mount Pleasant Road on high ground overlooking the village of Eltham. The first recorded burial took place in 1861 in the Church of England section.

In the 1950s, the Eltham Cemetery Trust amalgamated with the Warringal Cemetery Trust to become the Warringal Eltham Cemetery Trust.  In the late 1970s, the amalgamated trust was dissolved and the Eltham Cemetery Trust was reinstated.

In 1961, the previously purchased 6 acres of contiguous land, was gazetted for cemetery purposes and brought the total size of the Cemetery to 12 acres.

Over 150 years from its inception, the Eltham Cemetery serves the needs of the local community. Ongoing developments and landscaping continue to enhance the Cemetery's design and the natural vegetation and to preserve the inherited natural environment in which the Cemetery rests.

Trust Members
In accordance with the Cemeteries & Crematoria Act 2003, Trust Members are appointed to their positions by the Governor-In-Council. This type of Trust system was established in the 1800's and still forms the basis of cemetery management today.

The Trust Members act as custodians of the Cemetery, with their primary role to manage the Cemetery efficiently, to provide a facility that the community can be proud of and to preserve funds for its future maintenance.  

Trust Members volunteer their time, skills and vision to the long term preservation and sustainability of the Cemetery.

Secretary and Caretakers
A Secretary is appointed by the Trust to implement their policies and planning and to manage the Cemetery operations.

The Secretary is responsible for the financial management and statutory obligations of the Cemetery as well as management of staff and the grounds, interment arrangements and all administration.

A team of Caretakers, lead by a Team Leader, attend to all aspects of cemetery work, including interments and interment services, horticulture and grounds maintenance.